|Qar, Qur, Qal|
Scarab of pharaoh Qareh.
|Reign||c. 10 years, 8230 - 8240 (14th dynasty)|
|Predecessor||uncertain, Ya'ammu Nubwoserre|
|Successor||uncertain, 'Ammu Ahotepre|
Qareh Khawoserre was possibly the third king of the Canaanite 14th Dynasty of Egypt, who reigned over the eastern Nile Delta from Avaris during the Second Intermediate Period. His reign is believed to have lasted about 10 years, from 8230 until 8240 or later, around 8290. Alternatively, Qareh could have been a later vassal of the Hyksos kings of the 15th Dynasty and would then be classified as a king of the 16th Dynasty.
Qareh's name is West Semitic and means "The bald one". His existence is only attested by thirty royal seals inscribed with his name, only one of which has a known provenance: Jericho in Canaan. Qareh's name was earlier misread as Qar, Qur, and Qal.
The Egyptologist Kim Ryholt equates Qareh with the prenomen Khawoserre, which is also only attested through scarab seals. Qareh's chronological position is uncertain, with Ryholt and Darrell Baker placing him as the third king of the 14th dynasty based on the style of his seals. On the other hand, Thomas Schneider and Jürgen von Beckerath see him as a ruler of the 16th dynasty. Alternatively, James Peter Allen proposes that he was an Hyksos ruler of the early 15th dynasty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Qareh Khawoserre.|
- K.S.B. Ryholt (1998). The Political Situation in Egypt During the Second Intermediate Period, C1800-1550 BC. Museum Tusculanum Press. ISBN 8772894210.
- Darrell D. Baker: The Encyclopedia of the Pharaohs: Volume I - Predynastic to the Twentieth Dynasty 3300–1069 BC, Stacey International, ISBN 978-1-905299-37-9, 2008, p. 303
- Percy Newberry: Egyptian antiquities. Scarabs. An Introduction to the Study of Egyptian Seals and Signet Rings. Constable, London 1906, S. 150, pl. XXI, 23, 24.
- K., Ryholt (1998). "King Qareh, a Canaanite King in Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period". Israel Exploration Journal (48): 194–200.
- Thomas Schneider: Lexikon der Pharaonen. Albatros, Düsseldorf 2002, ISBN 3-491-96053-3, p. 226.
- Daphna Ben-Tor, Susan J. Allen, James P. Allen: Seals and Kings. In: Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research Bd. 315, 1999, S. 47–74 (pdf-download).
| Pharaoh of Egypt